I’m satisfied with conduct of Edo LG poll – Obaseki

Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, on Saturday, expressed satisfaction with the conduct of Local Government election conducted in the state on Saturday.

Obaseki gave the remark shortly after he voted at Ward 10, Unit 19 polling station at about 1.50 p.m.

According to him, “In spite of the rain, the turnout has been considerably interesting.

“That means political parties did all what they were supposed to do to sensitise the people.

“Secondly, we can see that the process has been very peaceful. I am very happy with this.

“That people were here some minutes before the close of polls. We have not had any incidence of violence from anywhere,” he said.

On his expectation of the outcome, the governor said he believed the popular candidates would win.

“I believe the popular candidates will win the elections, but don’t forget the PDP went all out to campaign for this election.

“I don’t know how much the other parties mobilised, but I know that the PDP was fully in most parts of the state,” he said.

(NAN)

Obaseki/Shaibu crisis: Deputy gov to get new office outside Govt House next week 

The rift between the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki and his deputy, Philip Shaibu may come to a head next week as the latter is set to be relocated to a building outside the Government House.

The PUNCH discovered on Saturday that the new office is situated at 7 Dennis Osadebey Avenue, close to the Government House.

The building used to be the office of the Edo State Public Procurement Office which was inaugurated by former governor Adams Oshiomhole, on December 16, 2014. In fact, the plaque stating the inauguration date is etched by the entrance of the building.

A signboard with the inscription, ‘Office of the Deputy Governor’ is erected at the entrance. When our correspondent visited the complex, on Friday, workers were seen renovating the building and the compound while the renovation had yet to commence on the security post.

One of the workers handling the renovation who did not give his name, said that the job was expected to be delivered on Monday.

He added that he didn’t know what the building was going to be used for as he also had no idea about how the signboard was placed at the entrance.

The worker said, “I work for the company handling this renovation of this building. Our job is to deliver the project on Monday as agreed. I do not know how the signboard got to the entrance of the building and I don’t have an idea of what the building will be used for.”

Speaking about the development, the Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Chris Nehikhare, said, “If there is a government signboard saying so, then it must be so.”

(Punch)

Join our new WhatsApp community! Click this link to receive your daily dose of NEWS FLASH content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like.

LG polls: APC, PDP, other five parties battle for 210 seats in Edo

Electorates in Edo State are expected to vote for 18 council chairmen and 192 councillors in Saturday’s local government polls that will take place in 4,519 polling units across the state.

Chairman of the Edo State Independent Electoral Commission, Justice James Oyomire (retd.), who stated this on Wednesday in Benin, said arrangements had been finalised to ensure the deployment or movement of electoral materials to the polling units.

He stated that there are 18 registered parties in the country but only 11 invited EDSIEC to capture their primaries and forms were given to them with only seven parties submitting forms before the deadline.

Parties that will participate in the election, according to the chairman, are the Accord Party, African Action Congress, Africa Democratic Congress, Allied Peoples Movement, All Progressives Congress, Labour Party and Peoples Democratic Party.

Oyomire said, “Seven political parties who submitted their forms will take part in this election. The election will take place in 4,519 polling units in 192 wards in the state. 18 local government chairmen and 192 councillors seats will be contested across the state.

“In order to ensure adequate security before, during and after the election, the commission engaged relevant security agencies in the state, while we interacted with the electorate and other stakeholders to ensure the success of the exercise.”

“The commission is ready. Adequate training has been given to election officers and personnel, while logistic arrangements are in place for the deployment of election materials to polling units,” he added.

(Punch)

Join our new WhatsApp community! Click this link to receive your daily dose of NEWS FLASH content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like.

I am still loyal to Obaseki despite my ambition – Shaibu

In a display of loyalty, Edo State Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, has reaffirmed his allegiance to Governor Godwin Obaseki amidst recent tensions. Shaibu emphasized that loyalty transcends personal ambitions, highlighting the strength of their bond.

Shaibu who spoke on Sunday at the 32nd anniversary of Edo State, held at the New Festival Hall, Government House, Benin City, Edo State, described the governor as his elder brother.

This is coming following weeks of dispute between the governor and his deputy. The deputy had gone to a Federal High in Abuja and obtained an injunction to stop the governor and state assembly of plots to impeach him.

He said, “My loyalty to the governor remains absolute. I see that everybody is doing solidarity. I am also in solidarity with the governor. I am also declaring my unalloyed loyalty to the governor and nothing more.”

“As for the issues that are around town when I was away, I really would not want to talk about them especially about the governor. He is my elder brother and boss and I don’t think I should talk about anything.

“And if I have issues with him, I think it is better settled at home and not in the media. I am well brought up.

“I can tell you that from my Christian background, if you make a vow with God that you want to do something, you must fulfill it. And the vow I have taken with God is that I will continue to support Godwin Obaseki as the governor of Edo State from the beginning to the end.

“But that does not stop anything that has to do with ambition. Ambition is personal and it does not affect loyalty. My loyalty to the governor remains absolute. I see that everybody is doing solidarity. I am also in solidarity with the governor. I am also declaring my unalloyed solidarity and loyalty to the governor and nothing more.”

Obaseki, on his part, had expressed shock at his deputy’s action and  accused him of plotting a coup against him.

Recall that Obaseki accused Shaibu of planning to succeed him at all costs ahead of the state governorship election scheduled to hold in 2024.

Obaseki while addressing stakeholders of the Peoples Democratic Party on Friday, August 11, said, “The constitution made me the governor of Edo State and it does not give room for a co-governor.

“My keen interest has been to unify and consolidate our party that’s why I supervised the local government election. He has never come to me to talk about running. He just said he is consulting.”

PUNCH had earlier reported that Shaibu approached the court seeking protection from Obaseki to avoid an imminent impeachment and removal from office.

(Punch)

Join our new WhatsApp community! Click this link to receive your daily dose of NEWS FLASH content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like.

Edo crisis: Obaseki sacks deputy gov’s media aides

The Edo State Government has disbanded the media crew attached to the Office of the Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu.

Governor Godwin Obaseki also directed Shaibu to henceforth request for media coverage of his activities from the Ministry of Communication and Orientation.

Obaseki stated this in a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information, Chris Osa Nehikhare on Monday.

“This directive followed the unfortunate incident that happened during the colloquium held to mark the 60th anniversary of Midwest Referendum, where some journalists, who claimed to be the media crew of the Deputy Governor, attempted to force their way into the hall where the Governor and other dignitaries were already seated.

“This act was against the accreditation protocol that had been established for the event coverage.

“The orchestrated and stage-managed walkout and disruption is highly regrettable,” he said.

(Daily Post)

Join our new WhatsApp community! Click this link to receive your daily dose of NEWS FLASH content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like.
Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial